Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 in review | pictures!

taking a cue from my friend johanna price photography. 2009 was my year of learning. i started with a nikon coolpix, upgraded to a d80, invested in a photography class, started religiously following photobloggers, did a few engagement sessions, family sessions and a wedding (all for free... that's what you gotta do before people ask you to do anything!), made a book, entered a contest and got published in another book.

and i still feel like there is SO MUCH TO LEARN!

i've never had a "passion" for anything before, but i can say now i really do absolutely love making beautiful photographs. so i think this is here to stay!

so here's the progression throughout 2009...enjoy...


making it home before sunset, chicago. january 2009.
fake sky

a cold cold lonely day wandering around north avenue beach
yes, this is chicago

my first experimentation with depth of field
it's still alive

ahhh... paris! february 2009.
il de la cite

and a little more paris
bleu et blanc

esta colombia! march 2009.
business on the streets of cartagena

me gusta colombia!
palms de cartagena

photowalk along wells street, chicago. april 2009.
let there be light

a furious lake michigan
lake michigan

last assignment of photography class: take pictures from a different angle and tell a story. may 2009 (p.s. to remind myself in case i want to move back, it was a freaking cold memorial day weekend!)
michigan avenue

first attempt at "people" photography. my friend's son, orlando.
noah b&w

first attempt at "food" photography. june 2009.
snack

DoF! lincoln park conservatory. (this one ended up in the book!)
lincoln park conservatory

trying to figure out suncircles/sunflare, graceland cemetery, chicago. july 2009.
angel suncircles honoré mausoleum, graceland cemetery

the-lovehandle.com was born! dinner party at elaine's. august 2009.
entrée

brick chicken
mmm chicken

hasma. look it up.
hasma soup

my first engagement shoot in destin, fl. it was a surprise! september 2009.
DSC_0523_2

playing with a polarizing filter, picnik, and realizing i need to buy lens cleaner
~these things are me

attempt to shoot grafitti/posters, new york city
sullivan street

attempt to be sneaky and take photos of people while they weren't looking, new york city
pics of pics on bleecker

my second engagement shoot (not a surpise). attempt at shoot-through. garfield park conservatory, chicago. october 2009.
DSC_0061

more lovehandle!
quinoa tomato

first family shoot, chicago.
DSC_0115_3

second family shoot, chicago.
DSC_0018_3

third engagement shoot, london. attempt at silhouettes. november 2009.
DSC_0169_2

third family shoot, marietta, ga. december 2009.
DSC_0313_2

first wedding! marietta, ga.
first look
still editing these pictures, so come back for more!

well i thoroughly enjoyed that! i have learned so much from following flickr photographers, some amazing wedding photographers and photobloggers, pestering photographer friends with questions and other friends to 'please! pretty please pose for my portfolio!', trying and failing and trying again.

thank you to everyone who sat on the other side of my camera, made goofy faces, got outside of their comfort zones, offered invaluable advice and guidance.

specifically, thank you:
- aimee & scott for being my first "clients"
- elaine for hosting weekly dinner parties so i could practice my food photography
- danielle & mason for being so willing & creative at the conservaory engagement shoot
- erin & joe for really getting out of your comfort zones for my camera
- margaret & cory for asking me to photograph your wedding
- jessica for letting me borrow your lenses & tripod
- shannon stellmacher for spending over an hour on the phone scaring the crap out of me before the first wedding (but i was well prepared after that!)
- johanna price, katie stoops, and ashley jones for answering my photography questions
- the gerbers and patels for letting me photograph your family
- my cousin for letting me take her kid's christmas photos this year
- my small group ladies who bought my book and supported my habit
- my own family for never telling me to 'put my camera down!' and laura & brad for making such cute kids who are the subject of a lot of my photos
- christine & michael who are flying me to houston to taking engagement photos in january 2010

- future friends and clients who will be on the other side of my camera!

4 comments:

  1. What an eventfuly year! Photography is a great way to document one's life. Twenty years from now, you will read this post and relive all those moments in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like 2009 was an awesome year. Cheers to finding AND following your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Carrie. You've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up, Carrie! Happy to be a subject anytime :) Joe and I love the photos you took of us!

    ReplyDelete